This technique helps you to mute some unwanted noise, or you want the music notes to be sound heavy. This technique is used mostly in genres like metal etc. Palm-muting is one of the most used methods for that which creates a chugging sound. Its also used to build-up energy before a chorus to excite the listeners.
How to mute guitar strings? Explained
WHAT IS STRING MUTING AND STRING DAMPENING?
String muting is when you want to mute a cord from playing because it does not sound right or you played a string by mistake. String dampening is when you want to stop it from vibrating which produces a muffled sound. When we damp a cord, the note of it is still evident unlike muting it. In classical music, it is called pizzicato. This method is has been around for hundreds of years.
WHY IS MUTING THE GUITAR USED?
It is to mute the unwanted sound that you make by mistake, or you don’t want it in your song. Its also used when you have to mute strings because it does not go with the tune you are playing. In some chords, we mute the E string because we don’t want to play it, either we mute it by placing our thumb over it or we don’t play it. You should not place your palm hard on the strings because if you do, it might break. Keep it consistent while playing the chords and strumming the strings.
The palm muting technique is to dampen the sound but not to mute them. In several popular songs, you can hear this as it sounds great if done correctly. It makes the notes more precise, and there is less sustain. The distance of your palm from the bridge matters because it changes the sound as you practice you will know more about it. It is for rhythm playing, and some may also be for lead playing. You should know how palm muting sounds if you do not know you can watch some youtube videos.
WAYS OF MUTING GUITAR STRINGS
- When we are playing a song, we change the chords again and again. If we remove the fingers entirely, they may make an unwanted sound because we just released all the pressure on the string, so the solution of that is to hold and not let go of your cord completely.
- While playing any song on the guitar, you may play any string by mistake due to which it does not sound right. You can mute it by placing your hand on it slightly or by just taking one finger on it and pressing it slightly, not pressing the cord hard enough because it may make another sound.
- We can do the right thumb technique in which the right thumb is used to mute the string depending on its position.
- This technique is best for ending a song. You mute all the strings at once by the little finger side. After some practice, it sounds good.
- This method is to make a muted bass or upright bass sound because while you are playing the song with your thumb, your fingers slightly rest on the strings of the right hand at the end.
- The ranking is not a muting method, but it makes a sweet picking sound.
PRODUCTS TO MUTE STRINGS
Guitar fret wraps, or guitar dampeners are to mute or dampen the sound of a guitar. People use it when recording a song when open strings are not for dampening the sound used in lead parts. Guthrie Govan usually uses a guitar dampener while performing live. It does affect the tune of the song.
- A DIY approach could be that you use a hair tie or scrunchie.
- Fret wraps by GruvGear are the most popular product used as they come in different sizes and are really good.
- Michael Angelo Batio guitar dampener is an excellent product as he is a guitarist he knows a lot about guitar. It is like a clip that can be quickly used and removed from the strings.
- Guitar mute silencer is to mute the strings too.
MUTING STRINGS EASY OR NOT?
Different muting techniques are to mute the strings. Some are easy, and some might take longer to learn. It is easy to mute a string by only one finger, and it does not take long to learn this technique. The palm-muting method may take you longer to learn, as it is more complicated than other techniques.
SOURCES TO LEARN THIS?
You can learn palm muting if there is some good music teacher around you or you can learn it online, and you may find different online courses. You can also learn on YouTube, but it is kind of hard learning from YouTube. Just keep practicing as it is said: ” Practice makes a man perfect.”
? WHAT IS STRING MUTING AND STRING DAMPENING?
String dampening is when you want to stop it from vibrating which produces a muffled sound...
? WHY IS MUTING THE GUITAR USED?
Its also used when you have to mute strings because it does not go with the tune you are playing. In some chords, we mute...
? WAYS OF MUTING GUITAR STRINGS
When we are playing a song, we change the chords again and again. If we ...